Prep-Coat® and Prep-Coat® SpecialPelleting Treatment over Primed Seed
What is Prep-Coat?
In this process, the seed is primed and then pelleted. The result is a pelleted seed that prevents thermal dormancy. The resulting pelleted, primed seeds:
- Are uniform in size
- Are relatively dustless, which is easier on planting equipment
- Split readily when exposed to moisture. These seeds break apart into two equal pieces, which allows air to reach the seed immediately. This is important because seeds respire, they require both moisture and oxygen.
- Germinate faster
- Increase seed lot uniformity allowing more uniform seedling emergence
- Greatly reduce heat induced seed dormancy
- Help to eliminate light sensitivity.
What is Prep-Coat Special?
Prep-Coat® Special is designed especially for lettuce seed varieties, such as green leaf and red leaf, that are extremely heat and light sensitive. To create this product, we use our standard pelleting and priming process, then we add an extra step to addess the unique issues of the lettuce plant.
We offer our Prep-Coat® and Prep-Coat® Special products in several denisty options so you can choose the weight that works best for your planting process. The options include Mini, Midi, LD (Light Density), MD (Medium Density), and HD (High Density). Please refer to the table below to determine the formulation that works best for you.
|Product||Stanhay belt hole size||Ratio||Pellets/lb|
|Prep-Coat® Mini||112 x 218||14:1||35,000|
|Prep-Coat® Special Mini||112 x 218||14:1||35,000|
|Prep-Coat® Special Midi||11.5||16:1||28,000|
|Prep-Coat® Special LD||13.0||17:1||22,000|
|Prep-Coat® Special MD||13.0||25:1||17,000|
|Prep-Coat® Special HD||13.0||35:1||11,800|